MetadataString contains a typed list of values providing metadata information about its parent node. Further information about this specific Metadata* node may be provided by a single child Metadata* node with
The MetadataString node belongs to the Core component and requires at least level 1, its default container field is value. It is available from X3D version 3.0 or higher.
1 2 + X3DNode + MetadataString (X3DMetadataObject)*
* Derived from multiple interfaces.
Depending on the metadata vocabulary, the attribute name is usually required for metadata nodes.
- Well-defined names can simplify design and debugging through improved author understanding.
- X3D Scene Authoring Hints, Naming Conventions
- name field is not included if this instance is a USE node, in order to avoid potential mismatches.
Reference to the metadata standard or definition defining this particular metadata value.
The value attribute is a strictly typed data array providing relevant metadata information.
- Many XML tools substitute XML character references for special characters automatically if needed within an attribute value (such as & for & ampersand character, or " for “ quotation-mark character).
- Typically use
containerField='value'if the parent node is MetadataSet.
- Explicitly defining containerField for Metadata nodes is always allowed and also unambiguous across each version of X3D.
- Each of the Metadata nodes are allowed as top-level root nodes in a scene, if doing that be sure to explicitly define
- If present, an IS statement is the first child within any other node.
- An IS statement precedes any sibling Metadata* node, which in turn precedes any other sibling nodes.
- Comments are not readable when a model file is loaded for viewing, but WorldInfo and Metadata* nodes are persistent and inspectable at run time.
- X3D for Web Authors, Chapter 15, Metadata Information
containerField='metadata'in X3D 3 changed to default
containerField='value'in X3D 4.0, allowing construction of much terser MetadataSet vocabulary structures.
- Metadata nodes can only contain other Metadata nodes.