QuadSet is a geometry node that defines planar quadrilaterals. QuadSet contains a Coordinate or CoordinateDouble node, and can also contain Color or ColorRGBA, Normal and TextureCoordinate nodes.
The QuadSet node belongs to the CADGeometry component and requires at least level 1, its default container field is geometry. It is available from X3D version 3.1 or higher.
1 2 3 4 + X3DNode + X3DGeometryNode + X3DComposedGeometryNode + QuadSet
Setting solid true means draw only one side of polygons (backface culling on), setting solid false means draw both sides of polygons (backface culling off).
- Mnemonic “this geometry is solid like a brick” (you don’t render the inside of a brick).
- If in doubt, use solid=’false’ for maximum visibility.
- (X3D version 4.0 ISO.proof draft) accessType relaxed to inputOutput in order to support animation and visualization.
- Default value true can completely hide geometry if viewed from wrong side!
ccw defines clockwise/counterclockwise ordering of vertex coordinates, which in turn defines front/back orientation of polygon normals according to Right-Hand Rule (RHR).
- A good debugging technique for problematic polygons is to try changing the value of ccw, which can reverse solid effects (single-sided backface culling) and normal-vector direction.
- Consistent and correct ordering of left-handed or right-handed point sequences is important throughout the coord array of point values.
- The provided value of QuadSet colorPerVertex field is ignored and always treated as true.
- If child Color or ColorRGBA node is not provided, then geometry is rendered using corresponding Appearance and material/texture values.
Whether Normal node vector values are applied to each point vertex (true) or to each polygon face (false).
- If no child Normal node is provided, the X3D browser shall automatically generate normals, using creaseAngle to determine smoothed shading across shared vertices.
Single contained FloatVertexAttribute node that can specify list of per-vertex attribute information for programmable shaders.
Single contained FogCoordinate node that can specify depth parameters for fog in corresponding geometry.
Single contained Normal node that can specify perpendicular vectors for corresponding vertices to support rendering computations, applied according to the normalPerVertex field.
- Useful for special effects. Normal vector computation by 3D graphics hardware is quite fast so adding normals to a scene is typically unnecessary.
- normal vectors increase file size, typically doubling geometry definitions.
- Color, normal and texCoord values are applied in the same order as coord values.
- Insert a Shape node before adding geometry or Appearance.
- For advanced extensibility, authors can substitute a type-matched ProtoInstance node (with correct containerField value) for contained node content.
- X3D for Advanced Modeling (X3D4AM) slideset
- Requires X3D
profile='Full'or else include
<component name='CADGeometry' level='1'/>
- Rendering characteristics are undefined if polygons are not planar.
- Avoid self-intersecting polygon line segments, otherwise defined geometry is irregular and rendering results are undefined.